Voicing the Muskoka Narrative through Immersive Live Performance and Crafting Community through Quality Theatre Education
Twelfth Nght at The Gravenhurst Wharf/Summer 2022
We are committed to creating an inclusive platform for stories to be explored and shared. We are invested in narratives of our local community and are built upon the principles set out by Joan Littlewood and the Theatre Workshop, who believed that theatre belongs to the people.
We invite you to be our collaborators.
Artistic and Executive Director
MFA – Theatre Direction with an Emphasis on Collaborative Performance Pedagogy
Conservatory Trained Actor/Director – Oxford School of Drama, UK
- Artistic and Executive Director of littlewoodsmith/TimberBeast Productions: a registered not-for-profit, community-engaged theatre company, that highlights the narratives of the Muskoka Experience. Recently produced work includes: A Gravenhurst Christmas Carol (a benefit for GAP), Angels in America: Part One and the Laramie Project (both benefits for Muskoka Pride) – Upcoming: Twelfth Night/Steamship Shakespeare (summer 2022), Souls of the Shield (October 2022), Citronella (in collaboration with the Gravenhurst Opera House, summer 2023)
- Chair – Gravenhurst Against Poverty Young Adult Centre
- Vice Chair – IAG/IDEA Committee – District of Muskoka
- Resident Artist – TLDSB Indigenous Education: recent credits include The 7 Project – a personal excavation of the 7 Grandfather Teachings (OAC funded)
- Creative Director – Monarch Performing Arts Studio/Huntsville: Most Recently Autumn directed the Ontario tour of The Last 5 Years and RENT.
- Professor – University of Toronto (Acting and the Community Engaged Experience), York University (Acting for Theatre Majors and Non-Majors). Centennial College (Community Engaged Arts Practices, Social Justice and Ethics in Community Engaged Arts, Directing for Theatre, Introduction to Arts and Creative Industries)
- Project Consultant – York University/YRDSB Arts Education and Mentorship Program
- Resident Artist – TDSB Creates/Prologue for the Performing Arts
- External Examiner/Dept of Theatre – Sharjah Performing Arts Academy (UAE)
- Radio/Podcast Host – Hunters Bay Radio
- Jury Member – MQFF (Muskoka Queer Film Festival)
- General Manager – The Ellen Ross Stuart Opening Doors Award (in collaboration with The Ontario Arts Foundation)
Autumn worked for Canadian Stage as the Curator and Producer of Community Engagement and Education. For Canadian Stage – Ms. Smith created and directed Territorial Tales, a project funded by Canadian Heritage and the Trillium Foundation focused on narratives of displacement and the true meaning of home. Territorial Tales debuted as part of Canadian Stage’s High Park summer initiative and then toured across the province of Ontario. Autumn also curated and produced The Global Village/We Are Story Activations in High Park which included a Canadian Citizenship Ceremony, Jack Charles at Beaver Creek and NAMRES, and community activations for Red Sky Performance and Spotlight Australia.
Autumn held the position of Director of Drama for the Canadian Children’s Opera Company for 5 years. Ms. Smith wrote and directed over 10 new works and directed 7 previously produced work during her tenure with the company.
Ms. Smith is the former Artistic Director of the Dora Award winning theatre company MacKenzieRo: The Irish Repertory Theatre Company of Canada. For the company she created two new works (The Rake’s Progress and Teacht I dTir: Voices from Ireland Park), directed several North American Premieres and produced/directed work both locally and internationally.
Other Credits include work with:
The Shaw Festival, The Tarragon Theatre, George Brown Theatre School, U of T/Sheridan, The National Ballet/Stratford Project, Hart House Theatre, Stagedoor Manor in Association with the American Theatre Wing, StageWest Mississauga, Theatre 20/Mirvish Productions, The Druid Theatre/Galway and the Oxford Playhouse/UK.
As an artist educator – Autumn has worked on projects with The Stratford Festival, The Shaw Festival, Theatre Passe Muraille, The Toronto Fringe, Sketch Working Arts, The Sears Festival, Hart House Theatre, Tarragon Theatre, Jamii Esplanade, StageDoor Manor NYU, Workman Arts, OISE, Ryerson University, Stagewest Mississauga, Prologue for the Performing Arts, TDSB Co-op Program, TDSB Creates, Theatre Direct, CultureLink, The Paprika Festival, The Blyth Festival, Theatre Ontario and TAPA.
Board of Directors for TimberBeast Productions
Autumn Smith - Chair of the Board
Carol Ann Chapman - Vice Chair/Treasurer
Sarah Hiscox - Secretary
Rachel Clark - Member at Large
Holly Groome -Member at Large
Cathryn Dunowski - Member at Large
© Copyright littlewoodsmith.com